Sunday, March 29, 2009

Refuge in the Midst of the Flood

I have been reading through the Psalms lately, and have been thinking a lot about how God Himself is the refuge for those who love Him.

This week, intense and heartbreaking as it has been, I found myself walking outside and laughing almost uncontrollably at times. I don't think I laughed because the flood is funny, because it definitely isn't, but I think the severity of the weather was so ridiculous to me that it made me laugh. God has shown His power this week - which we, the church, often pray for - and it has been devastating to many people's lives. Isn't that how God works? He must devastate what we think is good and comfortable and "safe" in order for us to see His power and get over ourselves.

This seems extreme sometimes, and often in painful, uncomfortable situations I wonder why God must seem so cruel. But I have realized something this week that excites me. The God who can devastate a city built up for a hundred or more years in one week is the same God who is my refuge. The power and glory of His devastating hand becomes a refuge when it is turned towards us who are His children. I couldn't be comforted more, and maybe understanding this is what caused my laughter. There is a deep joy that fills me knowing that this God who can stop all order and command the river is a faithful and eternal refuge to me.

Pastor Steve read Psalm 46 this morning, and it's one that I deeply appreciate, so I thought I would share it.

1God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
2Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change
And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea;
3Though its waters roar and foam,
Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah.
4There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
The holy dwelling places of the Most High.
5God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.
6The nations made an uproar, the kingdoms tottered;
He raised His voice, the earth melted.
7The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah.
8Come, behold the works of the LORD,
Who has wrought desolations in the earth.
9He makes wars to cease to the end of the earth;
He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two;
He burns the chariots with fire.
10"Cease striving and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
11The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah.

Martin Luther wrote a song that goes along with this Psalm: "A Mighty Fortress is our God"

A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing;
Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal.

Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God’s own choosing:
Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He;
Lord Sabaoth, His Name, from age to age the same,
And He must win the battle.

And though this world, with devils filled, should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us:
The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him;
His rage we can endure, for lo, his doom is sure,
One little word shall fell him.

That word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours through Him Who with us sideth:
Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;
The body they may kill: God’s truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever.

Praise be to the God of this flood, and all things, who is our ever-present refuge in times of need.

No comments: