Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Adventures of Melanie Marie (A Garden Gnome)

The other night Caleb, Jordan, and I were talking about kid's literature and reminiscing about stories we had written when we were younger. I decided that I would take the next few blog posts to share a story with you that I wrote when I was fourteen with a good friend of mine. I moved to North Dakota from Florida, and we decided to write this story via email paragraph by paragraph. In other words, I would write a paragraph and email it to her, and she would write a paragraph and email it to me. We built off of each other, and this is what we came up with.

The Adventures of Melanie Marie (A Garden Gnome) By: Ashley Burton and Rebekah (Reeves) Drahosh

All of a sudden, she heard a boisterous sound coming from the garden! She ran with all her might out to see what might be haunting her yard, and when she saw it, she stopped dead in her tracks. Screaming, she hurried to get a stick, and then charged full speed ahead at the flying beast.

"Ooo ooo ooo," it yelled as she violently struck it on the head,"Stop stop stop!"

Nervously she backed away, shaking in her little dress. It was a monkey! A flying monkey! She didn't know what to think. Thoughts raced through her mind like water rushes over a cliff. She had never, ever, in her most ridiculous dreams, ever thought of finding a flying monkey in her garden! Was it an illusion or was this really a flying monkey?

"What in the blue sky's name do you think you are doing hitting me with that stick of yours?!" the creature roared. He was mad; there was no denying it. He got up and stomped over to her in a blatant fury and began to yell in her face.

"You could have really hurt me, little missy! It's bad enough I fell out of the sky like a dead duck just shot down, and then you attack me with a piece of tree? I fear there is no end to this world of madness! What have we come to when even the noblest of flying primates can no longer fly freely?!"

All the poor gnome wanted to do was protect her garden...and regretfully she did just that. The horrible schizophrenic monkey was gone as quickly as he had arrived, leaving nothing but a poor little garden gnome shaking in her garden. Slowly but surely she reassembled herself, and then she went back to her busy days work.

To Be Continued...

No comments: