Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Adventures of Melanie Marie (A Garden Gnome) ... Continued

Make sure to read the beginning of the story in the previous post.

'What an awkward way to start a day as wonderful as this one is going to be,' she thought. You see, her sister, Melanie Marie was going to prove her womanhood. She had been training for what seemed like years, but no amount of training had ever helped anyone else do any better. How it usually worked was all the people in the village would come together to watch her complete "The Tasks of Randomness." No one had ever gotten the same two tasks, that's why it was so difficult to train. The borraner, which we now call the mayor, would assign five tasks to be completed in two days.

She arrived home breathless from her early morning dash through the garden, and she was still a bit dazed from all that had already happened. She was determined, however, to help her sister in every way she possibly could.

"Melanie Marie! Where are you my dear sister?" She cried as she walked through the door. She just had to find Melanie Marie as soon as she could to help her and encourage her.

The day was shaping out to be a lovely one. The birds were singing, the sun was shining, there was no hint of rain, and there was a slight breeze, making it the most agreeable weather. She was sure Melanie Marie would be able to complete her tasks of randomness, especially if the weather held out.

"Adelle, did you call me? Where are you?" her sister called as she came down the stairs.

"I am in here dear sister, I know this means so much to you, as it does to me, but I don't think I am going to go through with it. Womanhood will come whether or not I pass the tasks of randomness."

"Or course it will, but this will make you name blessed in our little city. You are just nervous. Now, let's get ready."

"I am nervous, but that has nothing to do with me not wanting to do my tasks! I don't want people to know me because of what I did, I want them to know me because of who I am."

"Oh nonsense! You will complete these tasks and then you will be engaged to whomever the matchmaker sees fit. In two weeks you could be married!"

"Adelle! You are not listening to me! I want to fall in love! Not to be matched up with a strange gnome! I am packed and ready to leave, I will be going as far away from here as possible."

"You can't just not show up tonight! You have to be there! The whole town will be waiting for you! I have been waiting for this moment for three years!"

"So that is why I have to do this. You never completed your tasks of randomness and you are going to make sure I will. Well, I am not going to. I am leaving. You can very easily inform the borraner why I could not make it. I love you, sister, and I pray I see you again someday."

And with that she ran out her door with nothing but a few days worth of food and a few clothes. Suddenly, she realized she had never left her quaint little village, and a chill went up her spine. There was a huge world out there, and it was her time to face it.

To Be Continued...

No comments: